You should read all of chapters 4 and 5.
Chapter 4 is especially important.
Questions for Chapters 4 and 5
Chapter 4: Radiation and Spectra
- What is the basic structure of an atom?
- What is electromagnetic radiation?
- What are the types of electromagnetic radiation (light is one)?
- What are some characteristics of a wave?
- Are electromagnetic radiation and temperature related?
- What is a spectrum?
- What are three types of spectra?
- What is the structure of an atom?
- What kind of particles can be in a nucleus?
- What quantity determines what element an atom is?
- What is an isotope?
- How are the enegy levels of an atom related to spectral lines for that atom?
- What is the result of the doppler effect on waves?
- What causes the doppler effect?
Chapter 5: Astronomical Instruments
- What is "aperture"? What does it mean for a telescope?
- What are the differences between refracting and reflecting telescopes.
- What types of locations are preferred for telescopes? Why?
- What types of electromagnetic radiation can telescopes detect?
- What type of radiation does a radio telescope detect?
- Why would we want to put telescopes in space?
© Robert Harr 2005